The third oldest general hospital in the United States and the oldest and largest hospital in New England, Mass General continues its tradition of excellence today.
Our 907-bed medical center, located in the heart of Boston, offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We offer high-quality care and services in four health centers in the Boston area. The hospital also holds concurrent Level 1 verification for adult and pediatric trauma and burn care.
Mass General is the original and largest teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, where nearly all of our staff physicians serve on the faculty. Since the hospital’s founding, Mass General has been committed to training and mentoring the next generation of international leaders in science and medicine, providing a wealth of opportunities for physicians, nurses, allied health professionals, physical, occupational and speech and language therapists and other health professionals. These talented men and women, in turn, lend fresh and innovative perspective on how to treat and care for patients.
- 907 total beds with 47,000 admissions per year
- 88,000 ED visits per year
- 70 dedicated telemetry Neurology/Neurosurgery floor beds
- 22 dedicated Neurology/Neurosurgery ICU beds
- ED with dedicated CT and MRI scanners
- Acute stroke and telestroke center
- Over 2200 Neurology discharges/year