Frequently Asked Questions

How to Apply

1. How do I apply to your program?

Please, apply through ERAS and register for the NRMP. The official name of our program is Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School Child Neurology Program.

2. Does my application have to be complete before I submit it through ERAS?

No. We review applications on a rolling basis and complete our final review once MSPE become available. You can submit additional documents when available.

3. How many letters of recommendation should I have?

We require 3 letters of recommendation. You are welcome to submit as many letters as ERAS allows you to upload. We will review all letters provided.

4. Do I have to provide a letter from a chair person?

No. We ask that the letters you provide are from people who know you well and can speak about you in a knowledgeable manner.

5. Is research experience required to apply to your program?

No. Our residents have diverse academic interests and this provides for a balanced residency program.

6. Do I have to apply separately for a preliminary position?

No. All five years of training are combined in the categorical track. Applicants should submit their application to child neurology. However, interviews with applicants will be provided jointly and coordinated by child neurology.  There is no requirement to submit a separate application to pediatrics.

7. Do you accept foreign medical graduates?

Yes. The number of foreign graduates in the program at any given time varies and completely depends on the quality of the applicants and the match.

8. Do you have a cut-off for year of graduation from medical school?

No, however, we strongly prefer applicants who are within 5 years of graduation from medical school or who have been continuously involved with clinical work.

9. Do you require US clinical experience?

US clinical experience is strongly preferred. Observerships, while helpful and potentially productive, are not considered clinical experience.

10. Do I have to be ECFMG certified to apply to your program?

You must be ECFMG certified when applying but we might review your application if you expect to be certified soon. You must be certified to be considered for ranking.

11. Do you provide visas for foreign medical graduates?

Yes, we provide both J1 and H1B visas for applicants who match with us. The visa type depends on the individual resident's situation. Partners has an International Office, which handles visas and you are not required to retain a lawyer.

If you have additional, unanswered questions, please, contact the program’s coordinator, Virginia Tosney-Trask, at